Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Getting Blade: Creed Acier Aluminium


A new love has come my way. Well, not exactly new ... but let’s just say, my eyes have been opened to his oh-so-clear-and-present charms. But his name is the daffiest thing this side of Greenwich Avenue. That said, Creed’s Acier Aluminium is no stranger to the high-end men’s fragrance scene. Released back, prenatus Vetrivressum, in 1973, he’s recently begun something of a resurgence in popularity among the sartorial set.

Lovers of Guerlain Habit Rouge will appreciate Acier Aluminium’s exploration of the cool-warm divide, its near-perfect navigation of a sort of Northwest passage of bracing citrus tropical fruit and plush––rather than furry––civet. If the latest Yves Saint Laurent men’s launch were a nighttime prowl, this is love in the afternoon. (But not al fresco. More like, on a king-size bed in a Richard Meier condo.)

And, what I love so much about Acier Aluminium (try saying that three-times-fast) is that it moves at its own very leisurely pace through a full-dress olfactory pyramid. The drydown alone, with its spices, ambergris and drop-dead-gorgeous vanilla absolute, is worth the price of admission.

Orientals are in sore need of reevaluation by men’s fragrance wearers, and like Le Labo Patchouli 24, Shalimar extrait, Habit Rouge and Opium pour Homme and the new La Nuit de l’Homme, Acier Aluminium should constitute a must-try for Summer 2009 and beyond.

6 Comments:

Anonymous dinazad said...

It does meander, doesn't it? Everytime I wear it, I keep smelling my wrist every few minutes just to keep track of all the lovely changes. It's the olfactory equivalent of the way I imagine Northern Lights look - flowing from one change of colour to the other (if the don't in reality, they definitely should. They look lovely in my imagination!)

April 15, 2009 at 5:58 AM  
Anonymous Le critique de parfum said...

Great article.

Acier Aluminium is so original and weird in the most positive way, unlike those tacky Comme des Garçons.

I ♥ it.

April 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous ggs said...

On my must-try list! I haven't found any Creeds to love yet, so maybe this will be the first, as you certainly have my attention with your description, especially the dry-down. The Habit Rouge in parfum is my fave, and I'm all about the orientals...
Thanks Christopher!

April 17, 2009 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Musette said...

funny how a name can color perception. Before reading your post I imagined this scent would be very linear/lasery-green. Huh. I guess I was wa-ronng. Which is half the fun!

Must try.

xo

April 20, 2009 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger carmencanada /Grain de Musc said...

Hi C. It's been quite a while since I've tried this. I remember it was one of the few Creeds I felt any attraction for. I also remember a worn sock note that's certainly our friend the civet. Which sounds awful but isn't bad in my book...

April 21, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Basteri said...

Very nice review I am looking forward to receive mine, it was love at first sight.
all the best

September 4, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home