Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gilding the Lily: Amouage Ubar


Jasmine perfumes of the Islamic school can be notoriously ill-bred. Throughout the Middle East deft but cloying synthetics have inundated the non-alcohol-based perfume oil tradition. Each day, erstwhile scent merchants pawn off synthetics on a well-heeled unsuspecting clientele. And no one is the poorer for it. We’ve all been taught that synthetics are good, and indeed they are. But Hedione discussions aside, for me jasmine is the one big glaring exception. Some Middle Eastern jasmine perfumes are so roughly constructed that they only express one facet of this extraordinary blossom: a sweetness so sweet and unpleasant that it makes my teeth ache. In Mumbai, I ask myself, is there a toilet bowl cleaner that smells like this? And there very well may be.

All of which brings me to the reorchestration of Amouage Ubar, a fragrance for which words battle in my head for precedence: balance, authenticity, mystery, splendor, and spirit. And yet I want to dismiss them all, because, being so overdetermined, they push the concept above the experience. Simply, Ubar is a superlatively pretty perfume. And very well-done. It was blessed with another one of those pre-recession, spare-no-expense-like creative briefs that many perfumers would die to be able to execute, if only for the sheer rise that must come with ordering a kilo of top-grade jasmine absolute. Ubar is not revolutionary, unless in 2009 one still were to view the cuisine of, say, a Marc-Antoine Carème as pushing the envelope. I, for one, cannot accommodate very often, if in fact at all, an entire brace (a flock! people, a flock!) of roasted duck à la Brétonne, let alone a purée of hummingbirds’ tongues.

But, let’s face it, we only have so much patience for revolutionary fervor in our times. Look at all those Comme de Garçons scents of the nineties that people who “didn’t wear perfume” wore. Many were hideous. (If we’d stopped at the fashions, we’d have been great. But, lightbulb dust burning smells and carrion ... spare us, O Lord.) Luxury that masquerades as nothing but itself is perfectly OK by me. And a well-constructed perfume is hardly luxury; it should be a requirement of the industry. Strike one, strike two, you’re out. Better to have sold a few million bottles of Febreze or that Indian jasmine Toilet Duck I mentioned than to author some abominable pink bugspray.

Ubar continues that marvelous rounded approach to a dominant floral note that we found with Lyric Woman and Lyric Man. Creative director Christopher Chong and his perfumers know what they’re doing with the lily-of-the-valley note and those lovely basso registers of Bulgarian rose, sandalwood and civet. But here the aria is from a Massenet opera like Esclarmonde, instead of Verdi. And it’s not Callas at La Scala I’m hearing, but Sutherland at the Dallas Opera.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Angela said...

You describe Ubar so well, and the last sentence especially resonates with me. Ubar is definitely grand, pretty, and doesn't make any apologies about it. I have a sample that I've been hoarding, but I'd love a bottle for summer nights when I'm tired of being ironic.

March 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Flora said...

How do you find the re-release compares with the original? The first Ubar is in my all-time Top ten and I was horrified when it went away. If this version is half as good I will be happy, but I really want it to be JUST as good.

:-)

April 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

Flora- I haven't tried the original, but this very good indeed. I think by and large that Amouage has put its money into quality scents that, regardless of tweaks, retain their unique identity.

April 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Oh, dear, another review of Ubar, where the words alone make me swoon.

I think the day is fast approaching when I click the submit button at Aedes...

May 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home