Monday, March 17, 2008

Etro Sandalo


Etro fragrances are among the most pleasant of the fragrance market’s unsung heroes. A bottle of Vetiver has graced my bathroom vanity for the last seven years, and when I go anywhere on extended vacation a bottle accompanies me. Etro Patchouli was my first official “adult” perfume purchase, and it goes down as one of the benchmark interpretations of that most mercurial of notes. Etro fragrances are such a perfect evocation of their brand, as, like the scarves for which Etro is known, you can never have enough of them – and, quite pleasantly, they complement each other. And what’s more, they are among the best (and most affordable) scents to buy en masse for daily layering combinations. (I won’t lie. I also find the bottles possess a plain perfection.)

These days, I’m reaching for Sandalo (1989). I admire its dry, well-bred aspect: Mysore sandalwood, myrrh gum, amber and some subtle florals lurking in the background. It has greater tenacity than Floris’ classic sandalwood scent and, owing to the myrrh gum, a touch more of the exotic. Picking up the bottle is like discovering some careworn old accessory that works perfectly with today’s look. A great daytime scent, Sandalo can be worn easily after a shower or with a loose-fitting weekend shirt. Or with nothing at all.

It begs contemplation.

3 Comments:

Blogger Perfumeshrine said...

I agree with you that the bottles are perfection: elegance without ostentatiousness!
And since they came with the vampiric Messe, who can say anything bad about them? Not me, in any case.

March 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

E., I look forward to reviewing more of the Etro scents, especially Shaal Nur which my boyfriend recently introduced me to, Heliotrope and Dianthus.

March 18, 2008 at 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really can't think of a single ETRO I wouldn't want to own. Even Anice, which isn't really my kind of scent, but there are always those days when it catches the mood.

Mahogany, Magot, and New Tradition are the ETROS Ive had my eye on lately. Vicolo Fiori is a love of mine for a LOONG time, will never be without it.

Glad you like Shaal Nur - its very special.

March 19, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home