Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Amber Assoluta


Amber Absolute (2007) is one of those scents that just can’t be appreciated in warm weather. (How the Indians wear it in the extreme humidity, one can only guess.) Perfumer Christophe Laudemiel’s creation for Tom Ford Private Blend betrays more than a couple of backward glances at Youth Dew Amber Nude but comes out the better constructed of the two. Deep but not terribly dark or cloyingly sweet, and with a truly memorable incense drydown, I place it alongside Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan (1993) and Annick Goutal’s Ambre scented candle.

This is perfume as if it were created by a chef at Jean Georges. Just the right blend of spice and dried herbs and a cool, salty, metallic tang that strangely reminds me of the inside of a copper kettle. My nose doesn’t hone in on the vanilla, which, previous to testing it, I’d have imagined in the fore. Instead, the spice comes in waves, tickling my nose, as if someone wearing Egoïste kept entering the room and then, seconds later, departing.

All I can think is, this would be divine on a guy.

6 Comments:

Blogger chayaruchama said...

What isn't divine on a guy ?
On the right guy, in the right amount, with the right choice ???

Seriously, I love this one.
It pairs very well w/ Moss Breches, for an extremely suave combination.

Kisses, darling-

October 9, 2008 at 2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Amber Absolute is one of my go to parfums when I want to make an impresssion and it does on both, men and women. The incense accord in Amber Absolute is arresting, one of the best.

Regards
Nattygold

October 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 10, 2008 at 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got a sample of this Tom Fprd, and found it quite potent. Maybe I'll put it aside until winter, per your suggestion! It did remind me of AG's Ambre Fetiche, which is also very rich and deep.
My favorite amber is still I Profumi de Firenze's Ambra del Nepal, where the vanilla is prominent. Have you tried the IPdF?

October 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

Ggs,

I haven't given the IPdF Ambra enough of my attention, but I will take your suggestion. Enjoy the Tom Ford. I'd be curious to know what you think of the Parfums d'Empire Ambre Russe.

October 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should be renamed Ambre Sultan Absolute.

October 17, 2008 at 12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home