Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Fall Scents


A day of cool weather and I’m already thinking of raking leaves, baking pies, dressing for the woods – I don’t get to them that often – chopping firewood, going to the opera (you weren’t expecting that gear shift), sipping coffees on the bench outside of Doma in the West Village, and wearing lots of the scents that I don’t dare in the dog days of summer. So here they are:

The (Chic) Old Guard
  • Caron Tabac Blond. Smoky, floral, sultry and not nearly as strong as I’d like
  • Caron Poivre. Spicy, clove-studded (and studly) in femme sort of way
  • Acqua di Parma Profumo (1930 formula). The quintessential chypre. A big blonde
  • Chanel Cuir de Russie. Birch tar to bring them home
  • Coty Oeillet de France. Dirty carnations
The Lost Generation
  • Creed Tabarôme (original). The Armagnac of men’s cologne. Luca can kiss my...
  • Guerlain Derby. You can tie up your horse here any day
  • Chanel Bois des Îles. Give me wood, lots of wood ... don’t fence me in.
  • Patou pour Homme. I like a little hot pepper on my pizza
The Young Turks
  • Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather). One of the best things out there
  • Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. A sillage monster. But it smokes quality s***
  • Prada Cuir Ambre. Amber plus leather. Little bottle. Lots of personality
  • Vero Profumo Onda. Dark and fiery. Ouch!
  • JAR Diamond Water. Peppery, sweetly spiced carnation kaleidoscope
Strange that I left off the vetivers. Or maybe not. Of late, I find them so pan-seasonal. Tropical grasses seem appropriate at nearly any time. Anxious here to hear your autumn picks.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets see...

Bois des Iles
Cuir Ottoman
Guerlain Metalys
FM Iris Poudre
Neil Morris Gotham and The Dark Earth
Lalique Encre Noire
ETRO Messe de Minuit
SL Chene
SL Ambre Sultan

eh, there are a lot more, Im sure...

September 12, 2008 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger waftbyCarol said...

you listed some of the best , but let me add :
Odori Tabaco
Profumi del Forte Marconi3
Caron French Cancan
Tann Rokka
Isabela Capeto (Red)

September 12, 2008 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

Chêne and Fumérie Turque are lovely - the latter layers very well.

Carol, welcome! I must try the Odori Tabaco. Thanks for the recommendation.

September 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of Amber, incense, wood, leather and spice here goes:
Jubilation XXV
Patchouli 24
Ambre Sultan
Cuir Mauresque
Ambre Russe
Patchouli Leaves
Knize Ten
Avignon
Black Aoud
Musc Ravageur
Cuir Ottoman
Rose31
Noir Epices
Chaos
Bandit
Arabie
Fumeri Turque
Andy Warhol Silver Factory

Sorry to be so long winded but I could go on and on ...

Nattygold

September 13, 2008 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Jim S said...

I believ I posted incorrectly before so we'll try again;
May I also add:
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Oud Wood
Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
M.Micallef Gaiac

September 15, 2008 at 3:32 AM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

Jim- How could I forget Cuir Mauresque and La Myrrhe from Serge Lutens! Of course. Patchouli 24 is very special, too. I have it in the perfumed balm and it is super-super smoky.

September 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Okay, ready to play! My fall scents list of the moment, over your categories:

Old Guard:
Caron, Parfum Sacre (oops, wait a minute; that's Old Guard in feeling, not in terms of when joined us...)
Chanel, Bois des Iles - Am ready to stop delicately hoarding and truly wear...
Rochas, Madame Rochas

Young Turks:
PG, Bois Blond - Just because I love it most any time
PG, L'Ombre Fauve - Let the warm rich begin
YSL, Nu
DK, Black Cashmere
Serge Lutens, Chergui
Ava Luxe, Black Tea
Ava Luxe, Vamp

Plenty of samps to try out in the cooler weather, too, of course!

September 15, 2008 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Rats, I forgot Narcisse Noir.

September 15, 2008 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger gluttonforlife said...

OK, I clearly have not attained your level of connoisseurship so my fall selections are a tad less refined, if no less beloved:
Santa Maria Novella Patchouli
Norma Kamali Incense
Le Labo Vetiver
10 Corso Como
Armani Prive Bois d'Encens
Dyptique Tam Dao

September 16, 2008 at 4:29 AM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

ScentSelf,

Great picks, esp. Black Cashmere (I've got some of the original juice) and the Bois Blond (which I love and, for whatever reason, hardly ever use)

Wiggue,
Very few respondents can say that Vetivresse has inspected their private collection, but you can; and I can vouch for the longevity and quality of your bottle of SMN Patchouli, which is lovely (esp next to Lorenzo Villoresi Patchouli). I must try Norma Kamali's fragrances .. my office is just a short walk from her boutique. You, my dear, would love Bois Blond from Parfumerie Generale. Procure yourself some. Immediatement.

September 16, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger nathan said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Heeley and the Miller Harris -- they both sound terrific and I'm heading to TPC to order some samples immediately.

I am not a fan of Onda (the soapy quality to the musk turns me right off), but I know a lot of people are huge fans, so I'll see if the other two hit the spot for me, instead.

I just recently tested out Tann Rokka Aki, and it's beautiful -- smoky and woodsy and rich, with a terrific patchouli. Great for fall. Odori Cuoio is also really nice -- leather and exceptionally dry woods. They're both great for completely different reasons.

Again, thanks for the list. It's always nice to read a post that picques my interest.

September 18, 2008 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

Nathan- Thanks, I'm going to check out the Tann Rokka and the Cuoio. I hate the Odori bottle design for some reason.

September 19, 2008 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Uella said...

Vetivresse, are you satisfied with present Tabac Blond and Poivre?

my fall scents...

Apres l 'Ondee
Bois de Violette
Feminite du Bois
Mitsouko vintage extrait
Givenchy III vintage edt
Diorella vintage edt
Bois des Iles
Cuir de Russie
No 5. extrait

September 20, 2008 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Vetivresse said...

E., Poivre is very deep and still very nice on me. Tabac Blond seems to have taken on a nonsmoker profile.

October 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home